Pumpkin pie pudding is what dreams are made of.
I know it’s only September but October (and full-blown pumpkin season) will be here before we know it. That’s why I whipped up this 100% dairy-free, gluten-free. AIP pumpkin pie pudding. You deserve to have something comforting and delicious, even though you can’t eat the real-deal pumpkin pie.
This AIP pumpkin pie pudding is perfect for an AIP Thanksgiving or as an after school fall snack. When you omit the sugar it creates a pumpkin pie pudding that works for those with candida, too. I personally like it better without the added sweetener after several months on a mold protocol.
Holidays are weird as adults, don’t you think?
A lot of the magic that came with Halloween, Thanksgiving and Christmas disappears when you grow up. I don’t know about you, but I find myself trying to grasp at sensations of my childhood. Most of the time that feels impossible, but occasionally I’ll experience something that reminds me how comfortable it was to walk upstairs on a chilly fall afternoon and sit at the kitchen table while my mom made pumpkin themed desserts. Sometimes it’s just the smell of pumpkin, other times it’s my feet crunching through leaves as I walk down the street in crisp fall air. I love how these tiny little moments catch me by surprise and help me remember.
I always wanted to be the house on the street with the most decorations. One year on Halloween, my mom put together a “boo-lated” birthday party for me. We put up graveyard stones and spider webs, and all my friends came over for games. She had a friend hide behind a large piece of paper that stretched floor to ceiling. Each person had to stick their hand through a cut out hole as her friend exclaimed “these are BRAAAAAAINS” while they pressed their fingers into a cold bowl of spaghetti. We all squealed and ran away.
That was magic. Back when all you had to worry about was whether or not your hand had just been shoved deeply inside the remnants of someone’s brain, right?
Back to the pudding:
- Make sure you’re using full-fat coconut milk (my favorite is Aroy-D)
- If you want to simplify things even more, don’t add the spices in!
- You can make this fun for the whole family by letting your kiddos add their own toppings like raisins, coconut flakes, or any other healthy topping!
Easy Dairy-Free Pumpkin Pie Pudding
- 1.5 Cup full fat coconut milk I like Arroy D from the BPA box
- 2 Tsp grass-fed gelatin
- 1/2 Cup Pumpkin puree
- 1/4 Tsp vanilla powder
- 2 Tbsp Maple syrup Omit if on the Candida protocol
- 1/4 tsp Cinnamon
- 1 tsp Ground ginger
- 1 shake Ground cloves
- Add the coconut milk to a sauce pan and bring it to medium-low heat
- Whisk in the pumpkin, vanilla, ground cloves, cinnamon, ginger and maple syrup (if you're using it)
- Once the liquid is warm add in the gelatin and quickly whisk it to make sure it doesn't clump
- Pour the mixture into a glass bowl and store in the fridge for 3-24 hours
- Serve in mini pudding dishes and dust with cinnamon
Check out my recipe and others featured on the AIP Recipe Roundtable!