There is growing research indicating that electromagnetic fields may be impacting human health in negative ways and many people within the autoimmune community find themselves sensitive to EMFs. Today we’re exploring what EMFs are, how they impact your thyroid and fertility, and what you can do to mitigate your exposure.
Where do people get exposed to EMF?
Problematic EMFs come from things like:
- your phone
- lap top
- smart meters
- large power lines
- cell towers
What are symptoms of EMF sensitivity?
If you’re exposed to elevated levels of EMFs or have an EMF hypersensitivity, your symptoms may be vague but persistent. Here are some symptoms associated with EMF sensitivity:
- Difficulty concentrating
- Heart palpitations
- Digestive issues
- Red skin
- Burning sensation
- Muscle aches and pains
EMFs also add to your body’s toxic load, so exposure to these invisible fields of energy can also interact with and make the damage done by other toxins worse.
How does EMF impact your thyroid?
Low exposure to EMF has the potential to disrupt your thyroid health. In an interesting study, Wi-Fi and cell phone frequencies altered levels of TSH, T3, and T4 in exposed mice compared to control mice. Other studies have also found that more time spent on mobile phones correlated with increased levels of TSH and lower levels of T3 and T4. Lower TSH, T3, and T4 was also reported in a study that compared folks whose occupations centered around computer use vs those whose didn’t.
What about EMF and fertility?
Fertility issues are often pinned on those with a uterus who are also more likely to have thyroid disease (which is associated with ferility issues). Interestingly, EMF studies have also indicated that human semen had higher levels of oxidation, as well as decreased sperm motility and viability after regular exposure to EMFs. Another study indicated men who attended an infertility clinic and who reported frequent cell phone usage had lower sperm count, motility, and variability.
Beyond these two things, EMFs have been shown to disrupt sleep, cause headaches, irritability, concentration issues, and depression.
What can you do to protect yourself and your loved ones from EMF?
Avoiding EMF all together is not possible. That’s why we love Radia Smart blankets, clothing, and accessories. Whitney recently got a blanket for herself and her son as they live near large towers and both of them have been experiencing mild health issues.
RadiaSmart contains silver fibre to reflect and suppress the electromagnetic radiation. According to their website, the anti-radiation blanket provides up to 99.9% shielding effectiveness against radiation from cell phones, laptops, tablets, WIFI, Bluetooth, and other non-ionising radiation devices – as tested and verified by an accredited laboratory.
It’s also made with organic cotton so you don’t have to worry about added chemical exposures.
Whitney notices an almost immediate feeling of relaxation after putting on her blanket. It’s as if her body was trying too hard and blocking the EMFs help everything calm down. She has been sleeping with it almost nightly and makes sure to pull it up over her neck so her thyroid is protected.
Beyond physically blocking EMFs with Radiasmart items, other ways you can mediate EMF exposure are:
- Keeping your cell phone at a distance by always using the speaker option & put it in another room at night
- Putting your phone on airplane mode any time there is low signal (the phone emits more radiation to compensate)
- Turn off your wi-fi router at night
- Try not to live near power lines (Whitney unknowingly moved into a home just a few blocks from a large power line and her health started to decrease)
- Put a shield between your laptop and your body when using it, like the RadiaSmart blanket — this is especially important for those who are pregnant!
- Avoid or minimize use of airpods and other wireless headphones which emit EMF right next to your brain
Boost Your Body’s Detoxification Pathways
Exposure to EMFs and other toxins is unfortunately unavoidable. Taking steps to improve your body’s detoxification and drainage can help immensely alongside what we mentioned above. Here are some ways to support detox:
- Reduce your toxic burden by using safe alternatives to skincare, makeup, cleaners, etc.
- Eat an anti-inflammatory, whole-foods diet like AIP or Paleo
- Put your bare feet on the earth — this helps your body eliminate EMFs
- Incorporate detox boosting support using supplements, sauna, rebounding, and dry brushing
If you’re looking for more ways to support your health, head to our blog for articles and recipes that will help you on your healing journey.