HUZZAH! Peach season is in full swing and I know you’ve been dreaming of that peach cobbler grandma used to make.
I’m pretty sure my grandmother’s was filled with canned peaches (which we all know were coated in high fructose corn syrup) and then biscuit mix on top with added sugar. Talk about inflammation city! Now I avoid inflammatory foods like gluten and sugar because of my autoimmune diseases. Sometimes it can be tricky to find a treat that’s delicious and reminds me of home. Luckily, I was able to perfect this version of peach cobbler and I’ve been enjoying every single bite of it!
If you aren’t familiar, the goal with the autoimmune paleo elimination diet (AIP) is to reduce systemic inflammation in order to help your body stop attacking itself.
That means highly inflammatory foods (including high fructose corn syrup, gluten, and processed sugar) are removed and replaced with whole, unprocessed foods.
If you struggle with an autoimmune condition like hashimotos, alopecia, rheumatoid arthritis, inflammatory bowel disease, etc (you can find a full list of known autoimmune diseases here) then an anti-inflammatory treat like this Upside Down Paleo Peach Cobbler is perfect for you.
Check out the swaps I made for conventional, potentially inflammatory foods:
(Pssst, just because these foods are inflammatory for some people doesn’t mean their inflammatory for all people. An elimination diet is the best way to determine what foods work best for you.)
Coconut and arrowroot flour for wheat flour
Coconut oil for butter
Coconut sugar and maple syrup for white and brown sugar
Gelatin egg for chicken eggs
I love grabbing our peaches from the farmers market. Supporting local farmers is important to us and I know the peaches didn’t have to travel as far to get here. Dontcha just love when you can make something delicious and have a low impact on the environment? No matter where you get your peaches, you’re sure to love making this Upside Down Paleo Peach Cobbler.
Upside Down Paleo Peach Cobbler (AIP)
- 10x10 glass baking dish
- 1/2 cup melted coconut oil
- 1.5 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup arrowroot flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 cup full fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 4 ripe peaches peeled and sliced
- 1 gel egg
- 1 tbsp coconut sugar optional
- combine coconut flour, arrowroot flower, baking powder, and sea salt in a mixing bowl
- In a separate bowl, combine melted coconut oil, coconut milk, maple syrup, sea salt, and vanilla in a mixing bowl
- Slowly pour the dry ingredients in with the wet ingredients while mixing them
- Prepare your gelatin egg (or use 1 regular egg) and mix in well
- pour the mixture into an 10x10 glass baking dish and press down with your hands to flatten
- Top with sliced peaches and sprinkle the coconut sugar over the top
- Place in the oven for 30 minutes
- Set aside to cool for 15 minutes and enjoy with a dollop of coconut whipped cream