Paleo Buffalo Chicken Dip is the perfect party recipe. You need less than 10 ingredients to make this delicious paleo appetizer.
It’I woke up the morning I created the recipe and said to my husband, “I want to bring paleo buffalo chicken dip to the party.” He was like, “that’s impossible to make.. what would you put it in?” When I listed off the ingredients I thought would create the perfect paleo buffalo chicken dip for the super bowl party we went to, he shook his head and said, “gross? mayo?!”
Well, I went for it. I’m not sure if he thought a better option would be sour cream or .. cream cheese? Whatever. This paleo buffalo chicken dip blew my mind and I ate more of it than I’m comfortable admitting. The recipe is perfect to have out as an appetizer when guests arrive to your party, but if you want to eat all of it yourself I won’t judge you.
What’s in buffalo chicken dip?
Organic chicken breast (did you know you can purchase free-range meats on Thrive Market?)
Lotsa paleo mayo (see note below for what kind)
Franks Red Hot Sauce (yes, hot sauce that is 100% paleo!)
That’s it! You can add optional toppings like avocado, cilantro, and chopped red onion, if you like!
How to make buffalo chicken dip?
Five simple steps is all it takes to make buffalo chicken dip ready for friends and family (or just for yourself. Remember, I’m not judging).
Step 1 = Cook the chicken
Step 2 = Shred the chicken
Step 3 = Saute the onion and garlic
Step 4 = Pour mayo + Frank’s
Step 5 = Bake
Can buffalo chicken dip be made ahead?
Heck yes! Is there anything better than dishes you can make ahead? Nope.
Go through steps 1-4 up to three days in advance, then bake it the day of your party. You may need to extend the baking time a little bit to ensure it’s fully warmed.
How long will it last in the fridge?
I wouldn’t keep it in the fridge for more five days. You can freeze it for up to three months if you need to. Just let the chicken fully thaw in the refrigerator before you pop it in the oven to bake.
What type of mayo should I use?
Thrive Market has two of my favorite mayos
Primal Palette – This is made with avocado oil
Sir Kensington’s – This is made with sunflower oil, all ingredients are paleo except a small amount of sugar (this is the one we typically use in our house because I’m allergic to avocados!).
You can also try making your own – check out this recipe!
Paleo Buffalo Chicken Dip
- 1 lb organic chicken breast
- 3/4 cup paleo mayonaise see above
- 1/3 cup Franks Red Hot sauce + 1 tbps
- 1 tsp solid cooking fat like ghee or coconut oil
- 1 cup yellow onion chopped
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1/2 ripe avocado optional
- 1 tbsp cilantro minced, optional
- 3 tbsp onion minced, optional
- 2 cups water
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees farenheit
- In a sauce pan, bring water to a boil. Add chicken and cook until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees (around 15-20 minutes)
- Remove chicken and using two forks, shred it up (or add to your mixing stand with a hook attachment and let it do the shredding for you)
- Heat the cooking fat in a skillet and sautee onions on medium until transluscent, stirring regularly to ensure they don't burn
- Turn the heat to medium-low, add in the garlic and cook until fragrant (about 1-2 minutes)
- Add the chicken, garlic, and onion to a bowl then top with the lemon juice, mayonaise and hot sauce. Stir to combine.
- Transfer all ingredients to a casserole pan and place in the oven for 25 minutes
- Remove from the oven and top with avocado and cilantro before serving with grain-free tortilla or plantain chips!